Forum

Welcome to The Final Four Is Not on the Schedule discussion board. A forum for the serious and casual MSU fan. Opinions welcome – stay respectful.

2024 Recruiting Que...

Notifications
Clear all

2024 Recruiting Questions

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@hazelmotes)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I am, of course, thrilled with the 2023 class, especially since Izzo wrapped it up so quickly he has gotten a jumpstart on the 2024 class. While it is impossible to know what the 2024 needs will be given that transfers could happen, Izzo must have some kind of plan. 

The starting 5 for 2024 could well look something like Fears - Akins - Brooks - Coen - Kohler

The reserves would include Holloman - Normand - Cooper 

The 2024 class should be close to 4 players again if Izzo does not look for transfers. What would an ideal class look like? Obviously, James Brown is a high priority as we would want to replace Booker.  Would we want a 3rd PG? Would someone like Jase Richardson want to sit behind two others? Would Durral Brooks be more likely to commit given that he might not expect to start right a way? What 2024 recruits are being prioritized and who is coming for this weekend’s Madness event? Does Rod have his own take on what a dream class would look like (He tends to know more about the recruits than just their star rating)?

Anyway, I know that 2024 is a long way away, but if Izzo can put together consecutive top 5 recruiting classes Izzo could be taking the Spartans, with Fears leading the way, could be on their to another National Championship. 

Posted : 07/10/2022 8:43 pm
RodMSU1968
(@rodmsu1968)
Member Admin

"While it is impossible to know what the 2024 needs will be given that transfers could happen"

It's that, plus other early departures (guys turning pro) that make it a bit of a fool's errand at this stage.

Brooks is a priority because he's clearly been one for awhile now. Instate guy and though it's clear there isn't as much MSU level talent in Michigan as there once was,  I think he's a take as a combo guard and fits the mold of what they've been doing of late in stacking multiple guys who can play on the ball but have enough versatility to also play off it as well.

Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine. Brown makes sense because of his size, Booker *probably* being a one and done, relationship with Fears, etc. Honestly, there are so many names now in 24 and 25 that I don't think MSU is in any place near being ready to narrow things down.  That likely happens by the spring, where we'll see who's the focal point of MSU interest and vice versa and then we'll have a better idea.

Posted : 07/10/2022 10:40 pm
(@hazelmotes)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

On the RCMB, which is a questionable source, someone is suggesting that Teng, McCulloch, and Powell are close to committing to MSU. I wouldn’t mind that start to the class. While McCulloch is not highly rated, he does have offers from Alabama, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Xavier. I imagine his rating will jump in the next update. 

Posted : 08/01/2023 10:22 pm
RodMSU1968
(@rodmsu1968)
Member Admin

@hazelmotes That's not unreasonable.  I think MSU leads for all three of those guys and they all seem to be interested in ending their recruitments earlier as opposed to going through the summer.  Maybe during the year, maybe in the spring, but that would not surprise me.  Been hearing that about all three.

McCulloch is an interesting player.  6'9ish, maybe 6'10  but can shoot.  Definitely a modern stretch big.  Given that Booker might be a one year guy, you'd like another 4 who can provide similar things right behind him, and I think he'd fit the bill. The offers speak louder than the rankings there.  

Posted : 09/01/2023 4:50 pm
Share: